HOW TO GET RID OF
The right daily skincare routine can help you fight acne. Follow these 3 simple steps:
1. Cleanse skin gently twice a day with a gentle foaming cleansing gel that purifies without stripping skin.
2. Use a skincare treatment cream that actually works. Ask your pharmacist about products with active ingredients like salicylic acid, niacinamide and piroctone olamine.
3. If you’re struggling, don’t hesitate to consult a GP or dermatologist.
Read on for in-depth details of acne treatments that work and info on how to get rid of acne scars.
HOW TO GET RID OF
Acne scars are a tricky one. They are caused by intense inflammation which breaks down the skin’s support structure resulting in pitted “atrophic” scarring. Once formed, acne scars are difficult to treat. Your options to get rid of acne scars are in-office dermatological treatments, such as:
- Chemical peels (e.g. TCA peel)
- Laser resurfacing (e.g. Fraxel)
Click HERE for more information on getting rid of acne scars and marks
When it comes to acne scars, prevention is better than cure, so make use of the skincare tips above to stop acne scars from forming in the first place.
YOU MAY WANT TO SEE A DERMATOLOGIST
To get rid of severe acne such as “cystic” acne (deep, hard, painful bumps under the skin) which is at risk of forming acne scars, consider seeing your GP or a dermatologist. In addition to recommending a suitable skincare routine, he/she may prescribe certain medical treatments to get rid of pimples:
- Retinoid creams (e.g. adapalene)
- Benzoyl peroxide cream
- Antibiotic tablets (e.g. doxycycline)
- The oral contraceptive pill (girls only)
- Isotretinoin (Accutane), for the most severe cases
Click HERE for full details of medical acne treatments.
Click HERE for an overview of how acne and oily skin work.