Dry skin rash is caused by a deficiency of water and lipids at skin’s surface
What is dry skin?
Dry skin (medical name: Xerosis) is characterized by a lack of water and lipids in the outer layer of your skin, the epidermis. If there is a deficiency of surface lipids, your skin loses its ability to retain water – and it literally dries out, causing a dry skin rash.
Because the skin’s protective outer layer (also called the skin’s barrier) can no longer performs its function as effectively, external irritants (pollution, allergen particles, etc.) can also penetrate more deeply. Skin thus becomes vulnerable and reactive, and is more rapidly and more strongly irritated. Because of this heightened irritation, dry skin can also cause redness.
Your dry skin might start to express some uncomfortable symptoms that, left unchecked, could affect your everyday quality of life:
- Rough to the touch
- Less supple
- Feelings of tightness
- Fine lines or cracks
Plus there are also some real downsides – if left untreated, your dry skin may worsen and lead to complications, including skin discolouration, eczema, or even cellulitis (an infection of the tissue under the skin). Damage caused by cracking or excessive scratching can also leave your skin open to secondary infections.
Tips to treat dry skin
Handy lifestyle measures to prevent dry skin rashes
Here are La Roche-Posay’s tips to keeping your dry skin feeling supple and comfortable:
Wash, but don't strip your skin
- Opt for a quick, lukewarm shower rather than a bath
- If you can't live without your bath, make sure it's not too hot (less than 37 °C), and don't soak for more that 10 minutes
- Use a gentle cleansing gel or a lipid-enriched liquid cleanser to neutralize hard water
- Rinse skin thoroughly and dry it by patting gently with a soft towel
- Apply hydration creams and lotions whilst your skin is still damp
Moisturise dry skin morning noon and night
Daily moisturizing is essential to prevent, and reduce the frequency and intensity of irritation or redness caused by dry skin. Carry a small pot of moisturizer with you, so that you can keep your skin hydrated throughout the day. Be sure to choose a product that is:
- Hypoallergenic and respectful of the needs of dry and sensitive skin
- Convenient and pleasant to apply, so that it's easy to use on a daily basis
- Hydrating, lipid-restoring, and soothing.
LIPIKAR Fluide is a light, hydrating fluid textures suitable for daytime or in summer.